Choir_West_Tamworth.jpg

Men's Choir
since - 1956

St. Augustine's Men' s Choir

Choir_West_Tamworth.jpg

The Longest Enduring Choir in the Parish is the Men's Choir, Which commenced singing in 1956,  Having a brief respite in the mid 1960s and re-forming in 1969. In 1956 Gus Barbaresco and a group of Italian friends with the Encouragement of Parish Priest and accomplished organist, Fr. John Curran, formed a male choir to sing at the ordination and First Mass of Father John Dacey. 

The Choir continued singing in St. Augustin's Church for many years before finally dispersing for a few years. In 1969 John Clarke, an organist and vocalist, arrived in the parish and revived the notion of a male voice choir. The current Choir has been in operation ever since then leading and supporting the singing of liturgical music at the 7 am Mass in St. Augustine's Church. 

Police Remembrance Day 2012001.JPG
Casino_2000.jpg

The Choir assists at the weddings, funerals, important fest days and community functions. From 1975 to 1979 the choir was privileged to have the guidance and support of Sister Frances Kuhn, a music teacher and member of the Coffs Harbor Sisters of Mercy. Unfortunately ill - health forced  John Clarke to leave the district in 1986 and there was a recess of a few months.

Parish Priest Fr. Casey persuaded Shirley Caba to be the new organist for the choir and she continued in this position for 20 years.  Shirley Frame also joined the choir as the support organist. Organist Karen Johnson joined the choir in 2007 and has continued to be an integral part in the longevity of the men's choir.

Kempsey_120016.JPG
Ulong.jpg

Paul Griffin became the choir master and has been the hardworking and dedicated conductor for over 35 years. Sister Mary- Anne McShane, a talented and Highly trained musician, assisted in the further development of the choir form 1989 - 1991. She encouraged the choir to travel and sing in other parish Churches including Nambucca Heads, Bellingen, Grafton, Port Macquarie and St. Carthage's Cathedral, Lismore. 

The Choir continues its musical ministry in the parish with a membership  of over 15 singers, some of whom have been with the choir since its inception. 

2007_Bowraville.jpg
Sth_Grafton_Nymboida_0902.JPG
SthGrafton12_07_10.JPG
2007_Coffs.jpg
Sth_Grafton.JPG
Casino_130361 (30).JPG
Ulong Sunday .JPG
Kempsey_120016.JPG